(Mfg. by: Apex Pharmaceuticals Ltd.)
- To reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol in patients with heterozygous and homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia.
- To reduce elevated cholesterol and triglycerides in patient with mixed dyslipidemia (Fredrickson Type Ia and Ib).
- For the treatment of patients with elevated serum triglyceride levels in hypertriglyceridaemia (Fredrickson Type IV).
- For the treatment of patients with dysbetalipoproteinaemia (Fredrickson Type III).
- To reduce cardiac ischaemic events in patients with asymptomatic or mild to moderate symptomatic coronary artery disease with elevated LDL-cholesterol level.
- To reduce total and LDL-cholesterol concentrations patients with hypercholesterolemia associated with or exacerbated by diabetes mellitus or renal transplantation.
Dosage & Administration
- Adults: Usually 10 mg once daily; if necessary, may be increased at intervals of at least 4 weeks to max. 80 mg once daily.
- Child (10-18 years): Initially 10 mg once daily, increased if necessary at intervals of at least 4 weeks to usual max. 20 mg once daily.
- Adults: Initially 10 mg daily, increased at intervals of at least 4 weeks to 40 mg once daily; if necessary, further increased to max. 80 mg once daily (or 40 mg once daily combined with anion-exchange resin in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia).
- Child (10-18 years): Initially 10 mg once daily, increased if necessary at intervals of at least 4 weeks to usual max. 80 mg once daily.
Prevention of cardiovascular events-
- Adults: Initially 10 mg once daily adjusted according to response.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Lactation: It is not known whether atorvastatin or its metabolites are excreted in human milk. In rats, plasma concentrations of atorvastatin and its active metabolites are similar to those in milk. Because of the potential for serious adverse reactions, women taking atorvastatin should not breastfeed their infants. Atorvastatin is contraindicated during breastfeeding.
Precautions & Warnings
Use in Special Populations
Pediatric use: For patients aged 10 years and above, the recommended starting dose of atorvastatin is 10 mg per day with titration up to 20 mg per day. Atorvastatin is not indicated in the treatment of patients below the age of 10 years.