- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections caused by Escherichia coli and Proteus mirabilis.
- Otitis Media caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis and Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Pharyngitis and tonsillitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Acute bronchitis and acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae.
- Uncomplicated gonorrhoea (cervical/urethral) caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
Dosage & Administration
Adult and children over 12 years: The recommended adult dose is 200-400 mg (1 to 2 capsules) daily, given either as a single dose or in two divided doses. For the treatment of uncomplicated cervical/urethral gonococcal infections, a single oral dose of Cefixime 400 mg is recommended.
Children (6 month or older): Usually 8 mg/kg/day given as a single dose or in two divided doses or may be given as following
- ½-1 year: 75 mg daily.
- 1-4 years: 100 mg daily.
- 5-10 years: 200 mg daily.
- 11-12 years: 300 mg daily
- In typhoid fever, dosage should be 10 mg/kg/day for 14 days.
Children (under 6 month): The safety and efficacy of Cefixime has not been established in children aged less than 6 months.