Paracetamol has analgesic and antipyretic properties with weak anti-inflammatory activity. Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) is thought to act primarily in the CNS, increasing the pain threshold by inhibiting both isoforms of cyclooxygenase, COX-1, COX-2, and COX-3 enzymes involved in prostaglandin (PG) synthesis.
Paracetamol is a para aminophenol derivative, has analgesic and antipyretic properties with weak anti-inflammatory activity. Paracetamol is one of the most widely used, safest and fast acting analgesic. It is well tolerated and free from various side effects of aspirin.
Dosage & Administration
- Adult: 1-2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours up to a maximum of 4 gm (8 tablets) daily.
- Children (6-12 years): ½ to 1 tablet 3 to 4 times daily. For long term treatment it is wise not to exceed the dose beyond 2.6 gm/day.
Extended Release Tablet:
- Adults & Children over 12 years: Two tablets, swallowed whole, every 6 to 8 hours (maximum of 6 tablets in any 24 hours).The tablet must not be crushed.
- Children under 3 months: 10 mg/kg body weight (reduce to 5 mg/kg if jaundiced) 3 to 4 times daily.
- 3 months to below 1 year: ½ to 1 teaspoonful 3 to 4 times daily.
- 1-5 years: 1 -2 teaspoonful 3 to 4 times daily.
- 6-12 years: 2-A teaspoonful 3 to 4 times daily.
- Adults: 4-8 teaspoonful 3 to 4 times daily.
- Children 3-12 months: 60-120 mg,4 times daily.
- Children 1-5 years: 125-250 mg 4 times daily.
- Children 6-12 years: 250-500 mg 4 times daily.
- Adults & children over 12 years: 0.5-1 gm 4 times daily.
- Children Upto 3 months: 0.5 ml (40 mg)
- 4 to 11 months: 1.0 ml (80 mg)
- 7 to 2 years: 1.5 ml (120 mg). Do not exceed more than 5 dose daily for a maximum of 5 days.
Paracetamol tablet with actizorb technology: It dissolves up to five times faster than standard Paracetamol tablets. It is a fast acting and safe analgesic with marked antipyretic property. It is specially suitable for patients who, for any reason, can not tolerate aspirin or other analgesics.
- Adults and children (aged 12 years and over): Take 1 to 2 Tablets every four to six hours as needed. Do not take more than 8 caplets in 24 hours.
- Children (7 to 11 years): Take ½-1 Tablet every four to six hours as needed. Do not take more than 4 caplets in 24 hours. Not recommended in children under 7 years.